Hi Tom,

Le 2012-05-21 05:01, Tom Davies a écrit :
Hi :)
I don't think the QuickStarter is made for Gnu&Linux systems.  We get a bit
spoiled.  If things don't almost instantly then we tend to be a bit impatient.

With Windows people get used to their systems slowing down quite a lot or being
given a system that is desperately slow.  It gets so slow that a number of
work-arounds have been built, such as keeping programs open all the time even
if they are not being used.  This makes them appear to 'open' faster and gives
the illusion that the system is more responsive.  Of course that tends to slow
Windows even more because programs can't share libraries and other components
in Ram and Swap/Virtual-memory.  So, people figure out work-arounds such as
going off to make a cuppa tea or deal with filing or double-clicking a load of
times in frustration.

The question is whether you really need quickstarter?  Roughly how long does it
take to open LibreOffice?  It usually is quite slow, like the Gimp.  Are other
programs also slow?  Is it possible to add some more Ram or get a newer cpu
with more L1 or L2 cache?  Obviously DDR ram is too expensive and just not
worth it but DDR2 is cheaper and DDR3 is worth buying at the moment.  Cpu can
have more impact for less money though.

Quite frankly, I didn't use QuickStarter when it was available for Linux, I preferred to reserve my RAM for other purposes. I usually kept my OOo or LibreOffice open all the time -- I used it for my teaching plans, lessons etc. I normally have FF, TBird, LibreOffice open. I am also spoiled in that I also have 2X19inch monitors which makes it easy to slide windows from one side to the other.

Cheers,

Marc