On 26/02/2013 at 01:58, Dave Liesse <dslie...@liessefamily.net> wrote:

> 1.  Change the margins, then save a new template named "Normal". This is
> insufficient, as it doesn't become my default template.

LibreOffice does not work this way. It's MS Office that assumes that Normal
template is default one.
Which may cause quite a headache when copying documents to other computers...

> 3.  Try to make this my default template.  Help says go to File ...
> Templates ... Organize, but File ... Templates doesn't exist.

Go for File → New → From template
(or similar - I do not have English LO 4.0 at the moment to check actual
spelling).
New template manager will fire up, which gives you opportunity to change
default template.

--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski