Hello Ady,

Le Mon, 11 Nov 2013 06:11:10 +0200,
Ady <ady...@hotmail.com> a écrit :

> > Hello,
> >
> > As there were some exchanges about the survey here and as I
> > advertised it on this mailing list as well, I thought you might be
> > interested by my initial analysis:
> > http://standardsandfreedom.net/index.php/2013/11/10/users-the-final-frontier/
> >
> > Thank you for your participation!
> >
> > --
>
> If I may...
>
> There are many ways for users to communicate: LibreOffice forum, Ask
> Bugzilla, and several irc channels. The problem is, IMHO, they are
> sometimes "too many" and "too complicated". Let me explain with a
> simple example.
>
> In the release notes for LO 4.1.3, it said that the release was bit
> by bit the same as "RC3". Well, that was incorrect, as it is the same
> as 4.1.3.2, a.k.a. RC2 (there was no 4.1.3.3). What a casual reader
> needs to do if he happens to catch the "typo"? Can he easily report
> the one-character mistake? Does anyone think that this typo deserves
> opening a new bug report in Bugzilla?
>
> For each contact method mentioned above (each ML, Nabble, wiki,
> Bugzilla, forum,...), a user needs to go through an additional sign
> up, sometimes requiring multiple steps. In our example (RC3 typo), do
> you think a casual reader would go through a sign up process just to
> report one wrong character?
>
> Just as an example, I am subscribed to the users ML, and I found
> annoying to go through additional sign-ups for Nabble. I can
> understand that there might be relevant reasons for this; but it is
> still annoying :). On the other hand, if a user is interested in
> Writer only, having to receive emails regarding Draw (or anything
> else than Writer) is one reason not to subscribe to the users ML. So
> perhaps separated per-program lists should be available, instead of
> one unified "users" ML? (I am not necessarily recommending it; just
> mentioning such potential situation.)
>
> Then we have several irc channels, but none of those channels
> targeted to users are really active, ever (e.g. #libreoffice and/or
> #libreoffice-qa). So what's the point of publishing the "existence"
> of those irc channels if they are not really open with someone from
> the LibreOffice Team being present in the channel? I'm not saying
> answers should be "on real time". For irc to be relevant for users,
> someone at least should maintain the channel open and saving logs,
> checking it once a day or so. This is one contact method that could
> be easily used to report the typo mentioned in our example.
>
> One day is one typo, another day is another typo. Then there is some
> minor low-priority bug in the installer (e.g adding a link to the
> desktop even when the user unchecked the corresponding box during the
> installation process). Then the wiki might need some little
> correction or update... For each minor issue, a user could just think
> "not worth going through all the sign up troubles for each different
> [...]

Thank you a lot for your  input. The survey does not cover the problem
you described specifically. But it definitely makes sense, and I think
we should keep your points in mind, although there is no easy solution
given that part of the reason there is no single sign on is security.

Thanks a lot, it's really useful.

Best,

--
Charles-H. Schulz