The solution I adopted is I created
separate files with the outline format I want (I have 4 files with
different formats).  I made the outline as deep as possible so I
wouldn't have to update the format.  When I am creating a new
document I copy and paste the outline into the new document and then
delete the extraneous material.  It is cumbersome but it works for
me.

Jeff Hahn