What relates....
Thunderbird is a database of information. The fact that there is no data replication built in is not the inhibiting factor to doing so.

I have underlined the pertinent words from a quoted definition from the previously mentioned URL.

http://searchsqlserver.techtarget.com/definition/database-replication

*Database replication* is the frequent electronic copying data _from a __*database*__in __one computer__or server__to a __*database*__in another__so that all users share the same level of information._ The result is a distributed *database* in which users can access data relevant to their tasks without interfering with the work of others.
I believe it says "computer or server" not just server.

*Pretty Good Privacy* (*PGP*) is a data encryption <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_encryption> and decryption computer program <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_program> that provides cryptographic <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptographic> privacy <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privacy> and authentication <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authentication> for data communication. PGP is often used for signing, encrypting, and decrypting <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decrypting> texts, e-mails, files, directories, and whole disk partitions and to increase the security of e-mail communications.
Quoted from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy

The use of Key Exchange for the data replication suggests a way of safely internally exchanging the replicated data.
Most of the engine to use it is already in Thunderbird.
Please see https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/digitally-signing-and-encrypting-messages

Why are they not applicable "serverless mail synchronization of local mail stores"?