On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 1:23 AM, Sigrid Carrera
<sigrid.carr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some trouble with LibreOffice recognizing the different weights for
> some fonts I have installed.
>
> Some basic info first:
> LibreOffice 5.2.1.2
> Ubuntu 2016.04
>
> I installed several fonts (otf / ttf files). I downloaded the fonts from
> either Google fonts or font squirrel and installed them all in the correct
> directory, where all the other fonts are as well.
>
> When I check in the Font Manager in Ubuntu, everything is ok, and all the
> different weights and styles are there. However, when I start LibreOffice,
> I see for some of those fonts only 1 style in the dropdown list, whereas
> for others I see all the different weights and styles. While in the font
> manager, I can't see any different behaviour between the affected fonts.
>
> Any ideas what I can try to solve the issue?
>
> Thanks for any ideas you might have.

When installing fonts on Ubuntu, these are picked up by "fontconfig"
and are made available to applications like LibreOffice.
You might install new fonts from the Software Centre or you might
place them manually
into the personal .fonts/ subdirectory.

Now, if a style of a font is not visible in LibreOffice it could be
due to several issues.
Can you give a specific example of a font (preferably, one with a
liberal licence) so we can check?
There is a good list of such fonts at https://fonts.google.com/,
therefore check whether any of your
new fonts in that list and prefer one of those.

Simos