If I understand your question, I've used section breaks and page styles
to achieve different page formatting. I've never used a master document
as I've never written anything long enough to justify it, but for my
longer documents, I set it up this way.

Title page -- using a page style I call TitlePage

(section break)

Front matter (table of contents, etc.) using a page style called FrontMatter

(section break)

Main matter (body of my document) using my standard page style (or if
it's double sided, I may have different page styles for right and left
sided pages.

With each section break, I reset the page numbering to "1," using lower
case roman numerals for the front matter and Arabic numbers for the main

Hope this helps.

I'll email you directly a sample document showing my page styles, etc.