Robert wrote:.
> Only one hint for this: My first MasterDocument was the Master for the
> German Base Handbook. First I had a little bit problems with styles,
> which are named the same way, but were defined different in the
> separate *.odt-files. After correcting these ther doesn't appear
> problems any more.
> When editing a new version of Handbook, I only change the link in my
> filesystem to the special new folder and the new content will be read
> by the master. If have done this for 9 different versions of the
> Handbook, also without any problems and in a very short time.

I'm sure LO's master document works just fine once you get it set up.
I've just never had the patience (or the pressing need) to get it fully
set up. I also tend to constantly fiddle with documents, changing a word
here or there. With a master document, I always have to check myself
when it doesn't let me directly edit the text. I have to separately open
the sub-document to do my editing. This is all good and the intended
function of a master document. I just get frustrated when I have to keep
reminding myself of this way of working.

Believe me, I'm not trying to open a LO vs. LaTeX debate. I work with
and love both systems. I was only thinking that most of the questions
Julian was asking were questions that LaTeX answers without anyone
having to ask.
> The problem for many users: Writer and all other programs for editing
> a normal text have too much functions and too much styles. I remember
> my fist little dtp-program, called Timeworks Publisher: Only 4 styles
> were defined for the whole document for headers and content. Everybody
> knew, which style he/she had to choose for different tasks. Works.
> With Writer I have to learn: Less is more.

+10. Amen. Preach it brother.

To unsubscribe e-mail to:
Posting guidelines + more:
List archive: