> On 05/04/2018 01:16 PM, Virgil Arrington <cuyfa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> I'm finding all of this fascinating. In the past couple days, I have
> also discovered the screen reader that came with my Linux Mint 18. I've
> been playing with it on various file formats. I created an HTML with
> AsciiDoc, and it read it quite nicely. It also read an .ODT file without
> difficulty. For some reason, it would read a .TXT file opened in LO, but
> not in Geany, and, it didn't read PDFs created with either LO or LyX.
> Now, these were quick and dirty tests without any tweaking of the files
> or any settings, so these experiences are not at all the final word. I'm
> sure I can make everything work properly as I learn more, but this does
> indicate that some methods will require more work than others.

I am not using Gleany, but check the encoding used by LO and Gleany as there
are different ways to encode a txt file. The more common encoding schemes are
variants of UTF-8 and ISO-8859. For LO you can show the encoding by going to
Save As... and check Edit filter settings. In Gleany there should be some sort
of drop-down menu to select the encoding you want.