Von: users-boun...@gridengine.org <users-boun...@gridengine.org> im Auftrag von
Ansgar Esztermann-Kirchner <aesz...@mpibpc.mpg.de>
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 01. Februar 2018 11:44
An: users@gridengine.org
Betreff: [gridengine users] Minimum number of slots

Hello List,

we're on 2011.11, and our general setup has nodes with a mixture of
CPUs (e.g. 8, 20, 40 cores). Most of the nodes lack a high-speed
interconnect, so we use a PE with allocation_rule $pe_slots, limiting
jobs to just a single machine. We're also using fairshare to achieve
an even distribution of resources to users in the long term.
There is a trade-off between fairshare and optimal resource usage when
only low-priority users have 40-core jobs and a 40-core node becomes
free. I know I can set my preferences by setting the relative weights
for fairshare and urgency.

Now, I think I can improve upon this choice by creating separate
queues for different machines "sizes", i.e. an 8-core queue, a
20-core queue and so on. However, I do not see a (tractable) way to
enforce proper job-queue association: allocation_rule 8 (etc) comes to
mind, but I would lose the crucial one-host limit. This could be
circumvented by creating one PE per node, but that would mean a huge
administrative burden (and possible also a lot of extra load on the
scheduler).

Anything I'm missing?
Thanks a lot,

A.