On Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 05:00:32PM +0100, Reuti wrote:

> > Now, I think I can improve upon this choice by creating separate
> > queues for different machines "sizes", i.e. an 8-core queue, a
> > 20-core queue and so on.
>
> So your intention is to have a bunch of queues and users select a queue
> instead of a dedicated PE (which would in turn select a machine from a
> dedicated set due to unique PEs per type of machine)?

Dedicated PEs would be another possibility, queues ware just the first
thing that came to mind.
With the current configuration, we only have one PE. It is set to
$pe_slots.
Users do not select a PE, but rather a slot range. The idea is that
the scheduler selects an appropriate host.

> Somehow I don't get the advantage you want to achieve.

I want to prevent "small" jobs from running on large "nodes".

A.

--
Ansgar Esztermann
Sysadmin