On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 02:15:22PM +0200, Dietmar Rieder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> may be this is a stupid question, but I'd like to limit the used/usable
> number of cores to the number of slots that were reserved for a job.
>
> We often see that people reserve 1 slot, e.g. "qsub -pe smp 1 [...]"
> but their program is then running in parallel on multiple cores. How can
> this be prevented? Is it possible that with reserving only one slot a
> process can not utilize more than this?
>
> I was told the this should be possible in slurm (which we don't have,
> and to which we don't want to switch to currently).

You can use USE_CGROUPS in the execd_params of sge_conf to enable cpuset
enforcement of CPUs this should limit you to the CPUs that gridengine has
assigned.  At UCL we don't use that anymore because we want to control memory
use
via cgroups as well and have prolog and epilog scripts setting things up.

William