On Mon, Jul 11, 2022 at 3:00 AM Guillaume Laforge <glafo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Which bug ticket are we talking about?
> (The ordering issue in lists)

I am not sure there was ever any issue raised in the Groovy's Jira.
Groovy's JsonSlurper is a port from project Boon. Here is the issue
and fix from project Boon:

https://github.com/boonproject/boon/issues/182
https://github.com/boonproject/boon/commit/fa4c64991609

Basically on JDK1.6 there is an inherent problem with LinkedHashMap
where it can be the subject of a DoS hash collision attack. In the
context of JsonSlurper, by using carefully crafted JSON payloads it is
possible in rare circumstances to implement a DoS attack. It is fixed
(wth a system property) on JDK1.7 and permanently fixed for JDK1.8 and
above. The Boon project decided to forgo map ordering on vulnerable
systems to eliminate the DoS problem. Groovy ported that change to
JsonSlurper. A map is a name-to-value container. The "also preserves
order" property can be thought of as a nice feature to have in
particular circumstances. The thinking I presume when Boon changed the
behavior was that security was more important than the "nice to have"
feature. Users should move to a non-vulnerable JDK version if they
want the nicer behavior.

The summary is that unless folks are stuck on JDK1.6, this shouldn't
affect them.

Here is a nice explanation of the problem explained using cats:

https://www.anchor.com.au/blog/2012/12/how-to-explain-hash-dos-to-your-parents-by-using-cats/

Cheers, Paul.