On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 2:57 PM, G VM <drums_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Likely a script problem, httpd wont cause harm
> Did some further investigation and it seems APC (php opcode cache) generates
> this IO(or so it seems).
> http://serverfault.com/questions/361032/high-disk-i-o-when-cache-is-used
>
>> that is pretty ancient
> RHEL. Not that ancient.
>

>> ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so this is a VM
> Yes :p any further point on this?
>

>> If you are not sure what APC is then you cant need it and should disable
>> it
> Although I might not have a full understanding of what it does the customer
> is using it (passively). So disabling is not an option.
> Sometimes disabling stuff from which you don't know what it does backfires
> ;)
>
> One of these days I will be able to change the setting and verify that this
> fixed my problem.
>
> Thanks for your response anyway:)
>
> Grtz

APC stand for Alternative PHP Cache. It aims to speed up your Apache
webserver by caching the parsed PHP object code, in a manner I don't
understand because I use neither PHP nor APC.

However, there are two takeaways from those two sentences. The first
is that it is a cache, the site should function without it. The second
is that it is meant to speed up your webserver. If it is not doing so,
and is instead causing load issues, it seems counter productive to use
it.

Cheers

Tom