On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Jason Carver wrote:

> I'm new to the list and had the same thought.
>
> In terms of just what the end user sees, would it be fair to say the
> changes are:
>  *  becoming compatible with IPv6 devices and servers

Yes.

>  *  IPv6 connectivity speeds that may not be excellent, but should get
>     better with time (ie~ years)

I think this assumes 6over4 or 6to4 are the only connectivity options
until the user's service provider is doing native IPv6.

>  *  continued backwards-compatibility with all (?) current IPv4 devices
>     and servers

Yes.

>  *  decreased performance of IPv4 due to translation delays and
>     still-evolving algorithms

Depends.  If it's strictly IPv4 I'd say no change.  But if you're looking
at a transition period where more servers come online with dual IPv4/IPv6
addresses in the DNS but their IPv6 connectivity is spotty then I think as
a whole things will degrade slightly as IPv6 routing and connectivity
issues take time to resolve.  NOC staff will need to learn a new skill set
:).