Hi Martin,

Good to hear from you and about the status of Apache SIS. It would make it easier for the end users if there were license commonality.

    Andy

On 27/08/18 14:13, Martin Desruisseaux wrote:

Hello Andy, Greg and all

It has dependencies on JTS, for spatial relations and distances etc., and GeoTools, for coordinate reference system conversions.

Sorry to jump in the middle of the discussion; I would like to introduce some elements in case they are worth consideration. An alternative to GeoTools for coordinate operations is Apache Spatial Information System (SIS):

    http://sis.apache.org/

The use of Apache SIS would avoid the LGPL license issue. The two libraries have similar API since I was the main author of GeoTools coordinate reference system engine from 2002 to 2008, before I migrated to Apache. But Apache SIS is more conformant to international standards (for example ISO 19162 for the "Well Known Text" format), in part because I'm a member of the expert group working on ISO 19111, ISO 19162 and GeoAPI in the Open Geospatial Consortium and I try to apply those standards as much as I can in Apache SIS.

Another point is that both projects implements Java interfaces published by the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) in the "org.opengis" namespace, but GeoTools uses its own fork of the OGC standard interfaces (without renaming the packages) while Apache SIS implements the official GeoAPI 3.0.1 release. This will cause a namespace collision if a project has GeoTools and the standard OGC GeoAPI interfaces together on the module path.

Apache SIS is cited by GDAL/Proj (the C/C++ library behind MapServer, QGIS, PostGIS, etc) as a source of inspiration for the design of their new map projection library, for which they raised a funding of  $144,000 (https://gdalbarn.com/).

If I can be of any help in the evaluation of Apache SIS for this task, I would be glad to try.

    Regards,

        Martin