if placing mirror maker in the same datacenter as target cluster,
it/consumer will talks to zookeeper in remote/source datacenter. would it
more susceptible to network problems?

As for the problem commit offset without actually producing/writing msgs to
target cluster, it can be solved by disabling auto-commit. and only commit
msgs that are actually persisted in target cluster.

what do you think  of this opposite approach?