I need to create a custom JAAS module for authentication but I need to pass
client certificate credentials as the principal.  SASL_SSL mode has support
for a JAAS module but from looking at the source code there doesn't appear
to be a way to pass SSL client credentials to the module.  The only
callback handlers are for username/password and for kerberos.  However, the
SSL mode can extract a principal from the client certificate but when using
SSL without SASL there appears to be no way to plug in a JAAS module.

So it seems that I am looking for kind of a combination of SSL and SASL_SSL
modes.  Is there anyway to configure out the box what I am trying to do or
is this going to require a code change? I can work on a pull request if
necessary.