Christopher,

It is definitely worth writing this up and starting a discussion on the dev
list. A KIP is required if there are changes to public interfaces or
configuration. I imagine this will require some config changes and hence if
you can write up a small KIP, that will be useful for discussion.

Regards,

Rajini