On Sun, 2016-07-17 at 08:45 -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> I am trying to reclaim some use out of a couple old Compaq Presaio
> SR1720NX machines for the office by adding some memory and a PNY 240
> GB
> CS1311 SSD drives.  The bios was made by Phoenix; I did not identify
> version number of the bios.  I did not plan on keep the hard drive
> installed and planned on just using the SSD.  These machines were IDE
> machines and only had two SATA ports on the motherboard.
>
> When I install the SSD the bios recognizes the Pny SSD properly, and
> was able to set up the boot order without difficulty.
>
> When I tried to install Fedora 24 on the first machine the
> installation
> software did not identify the presences of the SSD.  I also tried a
> Centso 7.2 install disc and the SSD was not recognized with it as
> well.
> Just to make sure things were working, I added the hard drive back to
> the machine, and the Fedora install routines did recognize the hard
> drive but continued to fail to recognize the SSD.
>
> Are there preparatory things that I need to do with the SSD drives
> that
> I am missing?  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

According to https://www.pny.com/ssd-CS1311 the SSD suuports SATA-3 and
is backward compatible with SATA2. The specs I found for the PC
suggests that it is SATA (which I assume means SATA1). So it may be
that the two are not compatible. Adding a separate SATA card (as
suggested in another response) may be a way out...

BR, Louis