On Sat, 2016-07-23 at 08:04 -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 08:45:13AM -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> >

> > Everyone,
> >
> > I am trying to reclaim some use out of a couple old Compaq Presaio
> > SR1720NX machines for the office by adding some memory and a PNY
> > 240
> > GB
> > CS1311 SSD drives.  The bios was made by Phoenix; I did not
> > identify
> > version number of the bios.  I did not plan on keep the hard drive
> > installed and planned on just using the SSD.  These machines were
> > IDE
> > machines and only had two SATA ports on the motherboard.
> >
> > When I install the SSD the bios recognizes the Pny SSD properly,
> > and
> > was able to set up the boot order without difficulty.
> >
> When I had to replace the MB of a similar, older system, I used a
> non-
> HP MB.
> Later when I wanted to beef it up, the new MB only had 2 SATA ports
> and
> I wanted to install more drives.  So I purchased a really cheap SATA
> controller card.
>
> I got a store-brand SSD and to my surprise the MB controller did not
> see it but the cheap controller did.  Blaming the store-brand SSD,
> I returned it and got a Crucial SSD.  Same problem though.  So it
> was the controller, not the SSD.  MB controller worked fine with
> other SATA drives, but not with the SSD.
>
> Jon
> ------------------------------
>
> Jon,
>
> I went to Fry's yesterday to pick up SATA controller card and the
> Fry's
> expert told me that their SATA controllers did not work with Linux.
>  Can you look up the name of the SATA card that you used and publish
> it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg
> --
Why do you not replace the SSD that works with SATA-1 (1.5g)? the PNY
does only Sata2 or 3. Just check for the SATA 1.5 support (I checked
Samsung for the 850 EVO and accoding to http://www.samsung.com/semicond
uctor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/850evo.html tha drive is backward
compatible with SATA 1.5).

Now if you want to replace the controller, check what chip it uses and
see if that is supported by Linux. I think most are nowadays....

Louis