On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 08:45:13AM -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

> Everyone,
>
> I am trying to reclaim some use out of a couple old Compaq Presaio
> SR1720NX machines for the office by adding some memory and a PNY 240
> GB
> CS1311 SSD drives.  The bios was made by Phoenix; I did not identify
> version number of the bios.  I did not plan on keep the hard drive
> installed and planned on just using the SSD.  These machines were IDE
> machines and only had two SATA ports on the motherboard.
>
> When I install the SSD the bios recognizes the Pny SSD properly, and
> was able to set up the boot order without difficulty.

When I had to replace the MB of a similar, older system, I used a non-
HP MB.
Later when I wanted to beef it up, the new MB only had 2 SATA ports and
I wanted to install more drives.  So I purchased a really cheap SATA
controller card.

I got a store-brand SSD and to my surprise the MB controller did not
see it but the cheap controller did.  Blaming the store-brand SSD,
I returned it and got a Crucial SSD.  Same problem though.  So it
was the controller, not the SSD.  MB controller worked fine with
other SATA drives, but not with the SSD.

Jon

Jon,

I went to Fry's yesterday to pick up SATA controller card and the Fry's
expert told me that their SATA controllers did not work with Linux.
 Can you look up the name of the SATA card that you used and publish
it.

Thanks,

Greg