On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 10:39 AM, François Patte <
francois.pa...@mi.parisdescartes.fr> wrote:

> Thanks for answering. No errors in the log file. I tried to load the
> nvidia module using modprobe and the answer was the same: FATAL module
> nvidia not found (while it is in the right directory)....
>
> So I run depmod -a and the problem is solved, but this does not explain
> why akmod did not run (or failed to run) depmod after building the module.

The akmod utility doesn't run depmod. All it does is build the RPM based on
the new kernel and installs the resultant RPM.

I've run into the occasional issue similar to yours. I haven't been able to
figure out the cause but I would recommend you don't reboot too soon after
a kernel update. Akmod has to install the RPM after the previous update is
complete and the rpmdb lock removed. It may take longer than you think. If
it gets stopped after a certain point the utility may think everything is
done when the package scriptlets haven't been run yet. This is purely a
guess though.

In my case, the fix for me was to remove the built RPMs and re-run akmod, I
didn't even think to try running depmod.

Thanks,
Richard