On Sat, 2016-09-17 at 07:34 -0600, Greg Woods wrote:
> Google *Is* trying to discourage use of IMAP. They want everyone to use
> their API's (via the web interface or a Gmail-specific app). Their tech
> support people have told us this much. Whether they are actually causing
> failures to discourage IMAP use is, of course, pure speculation. All I can
> say there is that there are people who believe they are doing this based on
> their own tests. Anecdotal evidence only. Take it for what it's worth.

Just to follow up on this, the Google Developer's documentation on the
Gmail API (https://developers.google.com/gmail/api/guides/) explicitly
states that "The Gmail API should not be used to replace IMAP for full-
fledged email client access. Instead, see IMAP and SMTP". They further
state (https://developers.google.com/gmail/imap_extensions) that "Gmail
provides a set of IMAP extensions to allow authors of IMAP clients
provide a more Gmail-like experience through IMAP. Developers
integrating Gmail features into their web or mobile apps may instead
want to use the RESTful Gmail API."

To paraphrase: if you want to use Gmail via a web app, use their API.
If you want to use it via a client program, use IMAP. Seems fairly
unambiguous to me.

poc