On 27May2017 21:36, Peter Gueckel <pguec...@gmail.com> wrote:
OK, thanks, guys. I was just curious.

Well, closing a terminal emulator should normally sent SIGHUP to processes still on the terminal. Which may or may not exit (most will). And then there's job control and "disown"ed jobs (things you've asked to continue running by no longer being managed by the shell).

[...]
Now, I wonder about $PATH: what is the correct value "to find the
programs that root needs"?

In the sense used earlier, "what root gets as a login shell" i.e. when root's profile gets run. This the "su -l" etc. My preferred incantation is "su -" myself.

But nothing prevents you just adding /sbin and /usr/sbin etc to your own path; plenty of "administrative" commands make perfect sense to run as yourself in reporting mode. "ifconfig" is the one I notice missing most.

Get a root login shell. Inspect the $PATH. Update your own as you see fit.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@zip.com.au>