On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 5:21 PM Dario Lesca <d.le...@solinos.it> wrote:

> Il giorno lun, 12/02/2018 alle 03.03 +0000, Christopher ha scritto:
>
> So... I just did a fresh install of F27, and I can't seem to find
> tracker-preferences, so I can disable the annoying document indexer that
> keeps crawling my drives. Anybody have any insight into why this is missing
> from F27, or a workaround to effectively disable the thing?
>

> Then I'm not the only one to find annoying tracker ... useful like a bee
> into helmet.
>
> as it is not possible to remove it, I disable tracker globally for all
> users:
>
> $ sudo dnf remove tracker-miners
>
> $ sudo sed -i
> 's/X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=.*/X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=false/'
> /etc/xdg/autostart/tracker-store.desktop
>
> $ yes|LANG=C tracker reset --hard
>
> Note: when tracker will be update, the
> /etc/xdg/autostart/tracker-store.desktop
> file it will not replaced and the new desktop file will be renamed with
> .rpmnew extension
>
> Hope this help

FWIW, I also found there's new menu options for search in the GNOME
settings, where I can control some of its behavior... but not all the old
options are there... and it's not quite clear how the new options relate to
the old ones. It's nice that gsettings can control all the options... but
it is in no way a substitute for a good GUI.