Allegedly, on or about 20 February 2018, Ed Greshko sent:
> I think you have HW which is never going to be satisfactory as a
> monitor.  Probably others with better understanding of display
> technology have their opinion.

You'd expect one 1920 by 1080 screen to show something just as well as
another 1920 by 1080 screen.  And often that's the case, and it is with
my recently bought tv set, but...

Computer monitors are designed to show text, televisions are designed
for moving pictures.  Modern televisions do a lot of picture
processing, trying to hide noise and errors, sometimes trying to
enhance detail that's just not present in the signal, and will quite
often mess up a live picture in the process (even worse when it's
displaying a non-native resolution, such as standard defintion TV
signals being upscaled by the set to high definition).

The set may have some PC mode that puts the set into an optimal mode
for use with a computer.  On some sets, simply using PC as the name for
the input does the trick.  Otherwise, you may have to go through
turning off all the special features (noise reduction, enhancers,
motion effects, film modes, reality creation, overscan, etc).

Overscanning is a particular issue with domestic sets (the picture is
rendered beyond the edges of the frame, by slightly magnifying it).  In
television this has been essential for decades.  Domestic TVs always
overscanned, studios took advantage of that and allowed things to get
into the camera frame that would never appear on the viewers set.  Turn
off overscanning, and you see the mike in shot, cameras filming off the
edges of sets, etc, on a hell of a lot of tv programs.  That's not
usuall a problem with analogue signals shown on old-school cathode ray
tubes, or even digital signals which don't use 1:1 pixel relationships.
 But with flat panel displays, overscanning destroys the 1:1 pixel
relationship of input signals to display rendering, and things that
require it (like small text), become smudgy.

You get sets that lie, too.  Saying that they're a certain resolution,
but the screen isn't that resolution.

I think the DPI issue is a bit of a red herring, in this instance.  If
you take three different 1920 by 1080 sets, each with a different
screensize, they'll each have a different DPI.  But they can each show
the display as good as each other, though you'd use the bigger screens
further away from you.  So-called high definition (1920 by 1080) isn't
particularly *high* definition, and doesn't stand too much close
scrutiny.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.14.16-200.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Jan 31 19:34:52 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

This email brought to you by potato omelates: