On 9/3/18 9:11 am, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Fri, 2018-03-09 at 07:59 +1100, Stephen Morris wrote:
It is my understanding that currently when a file copied to any
location, a physical copy is not produced, the copy is a hardlink to the
original file, until such time as one of the "copies" is changed and
then both become physical files with one file reflecting the pre-change
contents
What you describe here is linking, not copying. Copying always produces
an apparently independent file ('Apparently' because on Copy-On-Write
filesystems they two may actually share disk blocks until one of them
changes, but that is *not* the same as linking).

No, what I was mentioning here is what I have read as standard linux functionality with copying, when a file is copied, and it doesn't matter where to, rather than create a 2nd copy of the file, the "copy" is created as a hard link to the original file, for storage efficiency, and then when one of the files is updated the hardlink is broken and both files become physical.

regards,

Steve

poc