Howard Howell, Gordon Messmer:

  To both of you thanks a lot for the insight - I'm not a pro when it
comes to battery chemistry/technology. So I'm definitely grateful for
information in that regard.

For the sake of brevity, as a response, only a few lines:

My knowledge about batteries only comes from using and maintaining
them. I had extremely good experiences with a cellphone lio-on battery
that I drained every 2 weeks or so for about seven years (starting
2009). Only after these many years the battery started having a
slightly smaller run-time capability. It wasn't even broken at the
time I replaced it with a new one: it simply lost charge a little
earlier than in the beginning when I used it ..

From what I now know is that it does not seem to be a big problem to
*occasionally* re-calibrate li-on batteries. Even the arstechnica page
from 2014 only seems to advise against re-calibration "all the time".
Nevertheless: being careful to not re-calibrate every few weeks seems
to be a good idea to me now. My previously linked (and in this thread
mentioned) post from a few weeks ago was probably a little too
optimistic: to advise there against *frequent* re-calibrating would
have been a good idea.

Again: Thanks!

Regards,
Wolfgang