Thank-you Rick.

So if I did not already know that "xeyes" is all lower case, I would have to do
"[Xx][Ee][Yy][Ee][Ss]"?  Am I understanding things correctly?  I'm actually
looking for repository sources for at least 6 Python development environments,
and it's not clear when a letter should be upper case in the names of those
IDEs for Python.

I looked up globbing, which is what (according to the dnf man page) dnf uses
for wildcarding.  It provides a way of matching zero or more characters ('*'),
any character in a set or range of characters ("[{whatever}]"), and any
character not in a set or range of characters ("[!{whatever}]").  I did not see
a way of matching zero or one characters.  Did I miss something?  Such a
globbing ability would help with finding (for example) "x-eyes" vs. "x_eyes"
vs. "x.eyes" vs. "xeyes".

It is curious that you do "dnf whatprovides", but the man page for dnf does not
list "whatprovides" as a command, but rather as an option for other commands.
Is the man page wrong (or at least incomplete)?

Bill.