On 07/10/2018 08:29 PM, home user via users wrote:
I recently read an on-line article reviewing/evaluating several IDEs for
Python.  So I'm trying to find out what I already have, and whether dnf can
install whatever I choose if I don't already have it.  (My understanding is
that dnf can only install and update what's in the repositories.)  The article
provided IDE names, but no file names.  So my sense now is that dnf was not the
way to go for the searching.

If you're looking for the IDE name, then you would use "dnf search" for that. For example "dnf search eclipse" or more specifically "dnf search pydev" would find the Eclipse one. However, most of those IDEs are probably not packaged for Fedora.