Symbolic links missing on / (/bin->/usr/bin and such).
/bin/bash missing or corrupted.
/lib64/ libraries missing or corrupted.
systemd itself missing, pivot root attempts to run systemd and that
may be what is failing, but you don't really know what the underlying
cause is for it to fail.

What exactly was the "improper shutdown"

The easiest way to debug is to livecd boot it mount up the old
filessystems on say /oldroot (rootfs) mount /oldroot/usr for usr and
so forth and then cd /oldroot and do a "chroot ."

I would expect the chroot . to fail with some sort of error that may
hint at what is broken.