When the policy is not being followed and/or not enforced it means
nothing.  Only someone who is in love with
the policy would say otherwise and actively defend it.  I am going to
guess you helped write large parts of the policy
and that is why you defined it.  Yes, lets enforce the policy against
the everyone until you have no community.
Since there are packages going unmaintained it not like they are that
easily replaceable.  It is you as a "insider"
that seems to be denying the "perfect" policy is not functioning as
often as you like and not admitting that it can
be made to work with the staff you had.  If the maintainer for the
kernel package is not following it,
I doubt many are following it.

And while you are calling me an outsider, I have been using what
became fedora for years before the first fedora
version was released, and have been using it almost every version since then.

On the fedora side we should probably be directing anyone with
software bugs to upstream.  I am going to guess
that the guidelines were copied from the enterprise side where they
are maintaining packages that are years behind
upstream, were as fedora would rarely be in that position, and it
would be best to direct them to upstream.  And
then create a BZ to backport a patch and/or uplift to the new version.
Getting the package maintainer in the middle
seems to only add either failure or at best friction to the process.

Setting the standards too high removes viable resources of people that
may have just retired from a job
and don't want a job with hard defined guidelines.

Don't get me started about generally negative value automated response
from the PAID distribution vendors,
they seem to be an extension of the generally worthless process were
the exact same information is asked to be
collected for each bug for it to progress to the next level, even if
that information is not pertinent to the given bug.
The automation does not solve the problem, it only pisses everyone off
more with its negative value added messages,
and arbitrary requirements that may have no useful reason to be done
for the bug in question.  The distribution vendors
love sosreport for anything even for clear bugs that an sosreport is useless.