On Thu, Jun 22, 2023 at 4:40 PM Tim via users <users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> I found that mailing lists were the biggest sources for spam.  Seconded
> by organisations who said they wanted your details for receipts, etc,
> and would sell their data.
>
> I've found that simply keeping my email address out of the hands of
> spammers has been the most effective way to stop spam.  And I don't
> have to continually manage some badly thought out spam filter program.

I use my google account for lists. Google's SPAM filters are effective, so
much
so that when the small local ISP my mother used was bought by a larger
company that used a Google SPAM filtering service I had to regularly check
the spam collection to retrieve legit messages.   For all other messages I
use a community network for email, but the community network has been the
subject of campaigns to block email because it is used by various gay
rights,
woman's heath, and other groups that that generate outrage among certain
groups.

I didn't have a problem with SPAM until a company selling used Sun
and SGI hardware went bankrupt.  I assume their customer database got
into the wrong hands.  Once the spammers have your address the flow never
ends.

--
George N. White III