On Fri, Jun 23, 2023 at 3:55 PM Tim via users <users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, 2023-06-23 at 13:38 -0300, George N. White III wrote:
> > I use my google account for lists.
>
> I use a Yahoo one for that.  Since most of the spam I used to receive
> came via them, I thought I'd return the favour.  And their unavoidable
> anti-spam features seem less crap than Google's.
>
> > Google's SPAM filters are effective, so much so that when the small
> > local ISP my mother used was bought by a larger company that used a
> > Google SPAM filtering service I had to regularly check the spam
> > collection to retrieve legit messages.
>
> And therein lay my big hate about anti-spam software, the false
> positives.  Quite apart from having to double-check on it negates the
> value of using it, you and and I know we have to do it, the masses do
> not.  They just trust it, and important mail disappears, unseen.
>
> I get tired of having to educate them to check their spam folder (which
> they don't even know exists), and to deliberately mark non-spam mail as
> being non-spam.  Some don't even want to do that, because they're
> afraid they'll mess up gmail which they think knows what it's doing.

Same here.

Hah!  The other trick, that may work, is to add desirable emails to
> your contact list.

I get bounces for SPAM sent to non-existent address using my community-net
address as the sender, so friends and family do need filters on mail
claiming to
come from me.

A significant fraction of the SPAM I get on the community-net is sent with
a from
address  selected from some list of stolen addresses but return address a
gmail
account.  I've reported dozens of the return addresses to Google and the
number
I see has gone way down.

--
George N. White III