--- On Sun, 6/12/11, JD <jd1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/12/2011 03:08 PM, Patrick
> Bartek wrote:
> > It's been a nice ride these past 7 years with Fedora
> > as my primary OS, but it's time to move on.  My current
> >
> > [snip]
>
> As was stated in a recent response on this list, Fedora is
> always in
> test mode, so
> will always change rapidly.
>
> You will find that Debian uses very old releases of kernel
> and user apps
> and libs,
> thus much of the new advances are not available for it from
> it's vanilla
> repos.

Not all that old.  I'm running kernel 2.6.32-5-amd64 on the Debian 6 VM, which
I haven't checked lately to see if there's an update.  My current kernel for
F12 is 2.6.32.26-175 64-bit.  Not that much difference.  Remember, my hardware
is 6 years old.  Plus, I can always recompile.

> Also, if you are looking for support over many years, are
> you sure that
> it is actively
> supported and new bugs fixed in this release version you
> have chosen?

One of the reasons I chose Debian.  Support usually lasts around 4 to 5 years
for everything.  They just stopped support on Debian 4 this past February.  4
was released April 2007.  So, 4 years.  A nice run.  All I'll need for now.