On 22/10/2010 15:46, Vernon Cole wrote:
Your issue #2 is not a bug -- or at least it is the same as all other installers.

Well, it's *new* as the IronPython installer has never done this before - and I would certainly question whether it is desirable for it to be the *default* for IronPython.

IronPython doesn't use .pyc files (and not really .pyw either I think) so it isn't surprising it doesn't change those. I would really prefer that IronPython doesn't seize the association with .py files without explicit instruction from the user .

Michael Foord

Every version of Python which you install will take over as the default "Open" command for .py files -- and will supply it's own icon for them. When you are trying out a new Python version, you must remember to re-install your chosen default version afterward, if you expect to double-click a .py and get a certain version of Python to start. The same thing happens with Python 3.1 and 2.7 for example. I use so many different versions that I have given up on the re-install trick. I now use a bunch of .bat files (in a directory on my search path) to pick the version I want.

For example, the file "py23.bat" contains:
c:\python23\python.exe %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

and "py31.bat" contains:
c:\python31\python.exe %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

and "ipy.bat" contains:
"c:\program files\IronPython 2.7\ipy.exe" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

The file "python.bat" points to my chosen default version for this week.

So to test"myTestScript" under IronPython 2.7, I type:
ipy myTestScript.py arg1 arg2

The same little c:\utils directory also contains such handy tools as tail.exe, unix2dos.exe, less.exe, and 2to3.bat, which contains: c:\python26\python.exe c:\python26\Tools\Scripts\2to3.py %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

You get the picture... Those of us who's brains are stuck in console mode do this sort of thing.
--
Vernon