I noticed this, with a little disappointment. I also noticed that they implemented a sort of ersatz/platform agnostic reference tracking system in ssl.py. Seeing the _makefile_refs system got me thinking about the whole ssl.py/_ssl.pyd paradigm and sockets.cs, since I remembered you tackled this issue once before (or one very similar to it: http://lists.ironpython.com/pipermail/users-ironpython.com/2007-May/004946.html).

Perhaps something along the lines of _makefile_refs and GC.SuppressFinalize might get us closer?