> How did you configure for Cori?  You need to be using the slurm plm
> component for that system.  I know this sounds like gibberish.

../configure --with-libfabric=$HOME/OFI/install-ofi-gcc-gni-cori \
             --enable-mca-static=mtl-ofi \
             --enable-mca-no-build=btl-openib,btl-vader,btl-ugni,btl-tcp \
             --enable-static --disable-shared --disable-dlopen \
             --prefix=$HOME/MPI/install-ompi-ofi-gcc-gni-xpmem-cori \
             --with-cray-pmi --with-alps --with-cray-xpmem --with-slurm \
             --without-verbs --without-fca --without-mxm --without-ucx \
             --without-portals4 --without-psm --without-psm2 \
             --without-udreg --without-ugni --without-munge \
             --without-sge --without-loadleveler --without-tm --without-lsf \
             --without-pvfs2 --without-plfs \
             --without-cuda --disable-oshmem \
             --disable-mpi-fortran --disable-oshmem-fortran \
             LDFLAGS="-L/opt/cray/ugni/default/lib64 -lugni \
            -L/opt/cray/alps/default/lib64 -lalps -lalpslli -lalpsutil
\                      -ldl -lrt"

This is copied from
https://github.com/jeffhammond/HPCInfo/blob/master/ofi/README.md#open-mpi,
which I note in case you want to see what changes I've made at any point in
the future.

> There should be a with-slurm configure option to pick up this component.
>
> Indeed there is.

> Doesn't mpich have the option to use sysv memory?  You may want to try that

MPICH?  Look, I may have earned my way onto Santa's naughty list more than
a few times, but at least I have the decency not to post MPICH questions to
the Open-MPI list ;-)

If there is a way to tell Open-MPI to use shm_open without filesystem
backing (if that is even possible) at configure time, I'd love to do that.

> Oh for tuning params you can use env variables.  For example lets say
> rather than using the gni provider in ofi mtl you want to try sockets. Then
> do
>
> Export OMPI_MCA_mtl_ofi_provider_include=sockets

Thanks.  I'm glad that there is an option to set them this way.

> In the spirit OMPI - may the force be with you.

All I will say here is that Open-MPI has a Vader BTL :-)

> > On Thu 19.11.2015 09:44:20 Jeff Hammond wrote:
> > > I have no idea what this is trying to tell me. Help?
> > >
> > > jhammond@nid00024:~/MPI/qoit/collectives> mpirun -n 2 ./driver.x 64
> > > [nid00024:00482] [[46168,0],0] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Not found in file
> > > ../../../../../orte/mca/plm/alps/plm_alps_module.c at line 418
> > >
> > > I can run the same job with srun without incident:
> > >
> > > jhammond@nid00024:~/MPI/qoit/collectives> srun -n 2 ./driver.x 64
> > > MPI was initialized.
> > >
> > > This is on the NERSC Cori Cray XC40 system. I build Open-MPI git head
> from
> > > source for OFI libfabric.
> > >
> > > I have many other issues, which I will report later. As a spoiler, if I
> > > cannot use your mpirun, I cannot set any of the MCA options there. Is
> > > there a method to set MCA options with environment variables? I could
> not
> > > find this documented anywhere.
> > >
> > > In particular, is there a way to cause shm to not use the global
> > > filesystem? I see this issue comes up a lot and I read the list
> archives,
> > > but the warning message (
> > >
> https://github.com/hpc/cce-mpi-openmpi-1.6.4/blob/master/ompi/mca/common/sm/
> > > help-mpi-common-sm.txt) suggested that I could override it by setting
> TMP,
> > > TEMP or TEMPDIR, which I did to no avail.
> >
> > From my experience on edison: the one environment variable that does
> works is TMPDIR - the one that is not listed in the error message :-)

That's great.  I will try that now.  Is there a Github issue open already
to fix that documentation?  If not...

> > Can't help you with your mpirun problem though ...
>
> No worries.  I appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks,

Jeff

--
Jeff Hammond