On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 8:59 AM, Pieter Nagel <pie...@lautus.net> wrote:

> All documentation I've seen so far shows how to build a Continuous
> Delivery pipeline by tagging a specific image for testing/deployment.
>
> But apps consist of more than single images, they also consist of
> surrounding deployment configs, services etc. that combine all together
> into a working system.
>
> How does one manage the promotion of the entire set of these through the
> entire CD pipeline?
>
> In effect, I want to take a specific deploymentconfig from which a
> specific "known good" deployment in development was created, and clone that
> into testing -> production, along with related services and routes, except
> that image references should be rewritten to reuse the exact same "known
> good" images.

​Yes this is a space we are actively investigating.  As you note, there are
two parts to promotion, one being the promoted "content" (images, normally)
and the other being the promoted "configuration".  Today for promoting
configuration the basic flow would be to do an "oc export" from one
environment and then "oc apply" those resources to your next environment
(possibly with some manual transformation of the resources in between).
But Gabe and Justin from my team (on CC) are actively working on how we
make that story better.  Keep an eye on these trello cards:

https://trello.com/c/HlQpE52w/848-8-provide-example-of-promoting-application-between-datacenters-projects-evg
https://trello.com/c/Mvuy5Afi/993-8-define-an-environment-resource-r-d

The first one is intended to develop some documentation that users can use
today to manually go through promotion flows via oc export/apply/etc, but
with more prescriptive direction.  The second represents our longer term
vision to make promotion between environments a first class feature of
OpenShift, with specific tools for accomplishing it.

​I'm sure Gabe and Justin would be very interested to hear more about your
specific use case in order to ensure it is covered as they are thinking
about this.

> Is there a better procedure than "check if the definition of the
> deploymentconfig changed during the last cycle, and if so, `oc apply` the
> relevant changes to the testing/production projects before tagging the
> image"?
>
> --
> Pieter Nagel
> Lautus Solutions (Pty) Ltd
> Building 27, The Woodlands, 20 Woodlands Drive, Woodmead, Gauteng
> 0832587540

Ben Parees | OpenShift