I had exactly the same concern and I discovered that inside the heat
template there is a bastion mode, which once enabled it doesn’t use
floating ip’s any more.

Have a look at
https://github.com/openshift/openshift-ansible-contrib/blob/master/playbooks/provisioning/openstack/advanced-configuration.md

I think you want openstack_use_bastion: True but I am yet to test it out so
I’d recommend checking the heat template to see if it does what I think it
does.

At the bottom of that advanced page it mentions that in bastion mode scale
up doesn’t work for some reason, so I don’t know if that matters for you.

Otherwise an alternative is to create a floating ip range that uses private
non-routable ip addressees. That’s what we’re using in our on-premise
OpenStack. But only because we hadn’t discovered the bastion mode at the
time.

Hope that helps.