I'm using php56 with roundcube(1.3.0) and got no problems with being able to send mail via roundcube.

imap settings:

$config['imap_conn_options'] = array(
  'ssl'         => array(
     'verify_peer'  => true,
     'verify_depth' => 3,
     'cafile'       => '/etc/pki/tls/certs/combined.pem',
   ),
 );

smtp settings:

 $config['smtp_conn_options'] = array(