If you use correct certificates with correct postfix dovecot configuration you must be able to do peer verification. If you are not able to do it, you don't have right certificates or right configuration. The wrong config may resides in both postfix/dovecot files or in the roundcube itself.

Thunderbird ignore peer verification on both IMAP and SMTP.

Bye