Thanks Heinz, this is weird. In fact the problem comes from the libcurl which is bundled with Scilab. I think the lib was bundled for historical reasons (libcurl was likely needed for old OSX versions).

Since the problem occurs for a Catalina clean install, without any additionnal software such as Xcode, developper tools, command line tools (which could eventually install a different curl binary), I think we should remove these libraries from SCI/../../lib/thirdparty/, or at least change the order in the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH in the bin/scilab script.

S.