"We just need a high-quality POM, correct metadata, javadocs, sources,
and signatures."
It is debatable is what you mean on high quality.

For me (totally a Maven fan!) what makes the POM high quality?
Its ability to build the project!
I don't really care if it is full of maven-antrun-plugin, but build it
by running mvn ...

For some developers high quality really just means that the metadata is correct.

Because of this opposition having two separate OSS repos (serving
different needs?) makes sense.

What is the right thing to do going forward?
One question is whether to care about build ability or not!