Technically it is possible to manage 3 different OSS Maven repos.

1. The good enough
This is the current "Maven Central"
No rules, only "recommendations":
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-central-repository-upload.html
Note: it is not a rule what is not enforced!

2. The good
This would be the Maven Purgatory.
Same rules applied as above, but rules enforced.
Mistakes of rule-enforcements corrected by purge.

3. The best
Call it the Maven Heaven
Same rules, but only for Maven built projects.

Good dream, friends!