Okay I removed my proxy settings in the settings.xml file and configured
Nexus to use the proxy authentication via its server tab.  When I ran
maven, it went through Nexus and then complained that my company has
blocked access to maven central repo site.

If you have any more suggestion, I would be interested in anymore ideas on
how to resolve this.

Thanks!