> You're going about this the wrong way, IMO. Your Maven
> projects should declare its dependencies with GAVs. So if you
> have a project (e.g. projectA) using Spring 2.5, that should
> be declared in that Maven project. However, if you have some
> other project (projectB) depending on projectA, it will get
> Spring 2.5 as a transitive dependency. But that's simply the
> correct behavior. If that's not what you want, you can
> control that through dependencyManagement in projectB.

This is what I'm trying to do! Project A can support [2.5.6,3.0.2.RELEASE)
(ignoring for the time being that ranges don't work properly for spring 3
projects) and project B depends on A and some spring 3 jars, and I want it to
pull the spring 3 versions of A's deps.

I'm trying to get project B to use dependencyManagement from a parent pom
because it's very verbose and will be the same across all of our projects which
use spring 3. Most still use spring 2 though, so I'd like to have them pull in
the spring 2 versions of the transitive deps. The reason I'd like these
<dependencyManagement> sections in one shared parent pom and activated by
profile is that we have other intermediate poms which define shared build
logic, and I don't want to have two copies of each of those, one for each
spring version.

Thanks

Tom