Seeing different behavior around <extensions> enabled on "jar" custom
packaging type.

Using a testing plugin which contains "jar" as a custom packaging type.
>From the plugin's components.xml:

<component-set>
  <components>
    <component>
      <role>org.apache.maven.lifecycle.mapping.LifecycleMapping</role>
      <role-hint>jar</role-hint>

<implementation>org.apache.maven.lifecycle.mapping.DefaultLifecycleMapping</implementation>
      <configuration>
        <phases>
          <test>some.groupId:some-plugin:run-tests</test>
        </phases>

Did something change/become-fixed around this scenario?

Before, it seems the custom goals were merged with the standard "jar"
packaging goals.  Now, it seems like they replace the standard goals.  I
haven't had time to investigate enough to determine if that description is
fully accurate, but that's what it seems like so far.

I noticed the behavior when the "testing plugin" said it didn't have any
tests to run.  Finally I figured out that the compile goals were never run,
which meant the the .class files were never written, which meant the testing
plugin didn't have any .class files to run.