On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Jon Paynter <kittl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would do 2 things:
> First - remove the direct dependancy from A => C.  Let maven pick up 'C' via
> transitive dependencies.

I think in my case I actually want it to be there...

> 2nd, update your parent pom with a dependency management section to secify
> exact version numbers of all your artifacts.  Then update the POM in A, B
> and C to Remove their version numbers. This causes the version numbers
> listed in your dependency management section to be used.

I like this idea, but I'm not sure it really solves this problem.  If
I wanted to ensure everything in the dependency tree was always
building with the exact same version, I could lock them all down with
[VER].  But the idea was to be able to update C and be able to build A
with the new C without having to rebuild B.

> Then when its time to update things, just change the version # in your
> dependency management section.  build and your done.

So if I build a new C and put that new version in the parent pom, that
doesn't automatically make anything rebuild B.  So then when I go to
build C, does that mean C will continue to use the old B which used
the old A, or will it give me an error so then I know I have to go
redeploy B?

I'm guessing you also update the parent pom's version each time the
dependency management section changes, yes?

Phillip